Many have migrated to thriving cities like Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary where their professional or entrepreneurial skills are welcomed and continue to be in great demand. An example of a scheme to attract such people is the Canadian Skilled Worker Visa program which is designed to attract independent immigrants to Canada capable of making an immediate and significant contribution to the Canadian economy. The system is designed to favour applicants with flexible and highly employable skills and work experience.
You can go online to access the Skilled Worker Visa program. It operates on a points basis to determine if applicants qualify. Applicants are ranked on a variety of factors including education and work experience. The current pass mark for the Skilled Worker is 67 points. However, before taking the qualification test you should consider the following criteria. All are essential qualifications for those wishing to be considered for entry to the program:
- Your occupation must be at a sufficient skilled level, and appear on the National Occupation Classification list.
- You must be proficient in at least one of Canada’s official languages: English or French.
- You must be able to prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself, and your family if applicable, once you arrive in Canada.
- You must pass a medical exam to show that you will not be a danger to Canadian public health or a drain on Canadian social services.
- You must provide acceptable police clearance certificates to show that you will not pose a threat to Canadian society.
If you are fortunate enough to be in an occupation that appears on the Canadian Priority Occupation List you will be eligible for skilledmigration to Canada even before you have proof of a job offer from a Canadian employer. You will certainly be fast-tracked through the system and it is possible that you will be enjoying your new life in Canada within a few months of starting the application process. Please be aware though that you will not be exempt from taking the aforementioned points test and you must obtain the minimum pass mark in that to have any hope of success in your immigration application. The bottom line, though, is that Canada has a great need for foreign skilled workers and professionals and that Indian migrants will be made most welcome.